Brown-Forman survived Prohibition as one of only 10 distilleries authorized for medicinal production. With identical price points and with that ever so slight roughness around the edges smoothed out, this will be the one that I keep in my cabinet from here on out. Brown & Bros – the first ones to sell whiskey in sealed glass bottles to assure its quality. It may not be overly complex, but its pleasantness makes up for it. Its main flaw is that it still suffers from a below average finish despite being much improved over years past. The finish, while light, is actually kind of nice and certainly a good ending for Old Forester. It is the lowest proof offering in the Old Forester family of expressions. I liked the Single Barrels at their 90 proof. Sweet caramel and a cherry brightness spring from the glass, followed by ample amount of oak. Everywhere. Pepper, clove, and seasoned oak get the spotlight during the finish. I didn’t expect that Jack Daniel’s trait to carry over to Old Forester, but I’m starting to realize that it’s a Brown Forman thing. It’s medium with similar notes as the 86, but much, much smoother. But it is pretty good stuff and it’s great neat or on the rocks, and holds up nicely in an Old Fashioned or other cocktail. Surprisingly light – lighter than the 86. While there still isn’t much heat, Old Forester does have a little spicy cinnamon and nutmeg bite to it, as well as a middle of the road and not thin mouthfeel. If you're not old enough to drink, then you're not old enough to read Breaking Bourbon. To reiterate one last time – Old Forester 86 Proof Bourbon is alright, but it’s not for me. Throughout the 1980’s-1990’s, the brand languished and continued to lose market share. And most importantly of all, it's in a position to make a name for itself, by providing its competition with quality counterpoint. It’s not enough to make a good bourbon bad, but it might be keeping a good bourbon from being great. So far, the evidence I've tasted has led me to the conclusion that in general, I like Old Forester/Woodford Reserve at less than 100 proof. It’s not a complex or interesting bourbon, but it’s also decently enjoyable. Old Forester Bourbon 86 Proof is a shelf staple offered by Brown Forman, the company well known for Woodford Reserve and Jack Daniel’s.As the Old Forester line has expanded to include the Whiskey Row series and more recently the 100 proof and cask strength Old Forester Single Barrels, the 43% ABV version continues to be the most affordable entry point into Old Forester bourbon at around … Still sporting the brand’s typical flavor profile, the bourbon overall tastes much more rich and full-flavored. As a much improved product, Old Forester Signature 100 Proof goes a long way correcting its past wrongs, and can finally stand toe-to-toe with its competition. Evan Williams Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch, and Eagle Rare all accomplish this within this price range. Unfortunately what was most memorable about them was their dreadful finish. It tastes toned down from years past where it was overpowering. The nod goes to Old Forester 100. It might not be overly unique, but it is a much improved and higher quality pour than it’s been in a long time. Founded by a former pharmaceutical salesman named George Garvin Brown, the original version of Old Forester was sold to pharmacie… I like the 86 quite a bit as a everyday bourbon that you don't need to feel bad about using up too quickly. Very traditional bourbon notes of vanilla and caramel. In 2014, Brown-Forman began reinvesting in the brand, including returning to its roots along Whiskey Row in Downtown Louisville. On that note, this is way better than Jack Daniel’s Old No. Putting things in perspective, though, its premier-bourbon-big-brother – Woodford Reserve – reported revenues up 24% and sales approaching 1 million cases annually. It more closely resembles its more expensive and well-received Whiskey Row bourbons at a more introductory and everyday price. It wasn’t much longer after that something began to change. It’s still not great, but it’s also not so bad for a $20ish bourbon, although I still prefer Evan Williams Bottled in Bond at around the same price. There is a little bite at first, but it’s nothing major. I recall when we visited the Old Forester Experience in Downtown Louisville last summer and my wife – not a bourbon drinker – remarked in our sampling of how smooth the 100 was, and that even she liked that one. They were far from bad bourbons, they just weren’t all that memorable. At one time, Old Forester was considered fine bourbon, releasing special decanters each year for the Christmas holiday. Old Forester began with humble roots in 1870, when George Garvin Brown took $5,500 and, with his half-brother, started J.T.S. No age statement, but rumored to be in the 4-6 year range. After a few organizational changes, George Brown became partners with George Forman, and renamed the company to Brown-Forman in 1890. We’re doing a duel between Old Forester 86 and Old Forester 100. Since the release of the Whiskey Row series, I always wondered why there was such a divide in quality from those releases to the more budget friendly 86 and 100 proof Old Forester releases. We have number 2 seed Old Forester Bourbon (86 proof) versus Number 3 seed Four Roses Bourbon (this bottle still has a yellow label). To be honest, it could be a lot worse so I’ll take it. They fit well with the palate’s flavor profile and bring a bit more complexity to the finish. Dry and woodsy. With a new brand-wide bottle label refresh in tow, Old Forester has changed and that is most apparent with Old Forester Signature 100 Proof. With “chewing”, the finish becomes a little more oaky, dry, and sweet all at the same time with honey, toasted grains, vanilla, sliced apple, and citrus. With this nearly fixed, and a rich palate and respectable depth, Old Forester Signature now provides a solid pour at a great price point. Over the years, Brown-Forman produced many brands including its flagship brand – Old Forester. The finish initially is light with honey, toasted grains, licorice, and citrus; and after a minute I start to get hints of banana. And in fairness it was the least expensive 100 proof I've bought too. This has a GREAT nose. It doesn’t derail the entire finish, but puts a blemish on an otherwise solid pour. At 86 proof, Old Forester delivers a genuine bourbon experience, with rich, full flavor and a smooth character that is ideal for sipping neat, on the rocks, with a splash of water or in a classic cocktail.”. Old Forester 86 and 100 proof bourbons have struggled with this for many years. In fact, tasting this side by side with Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond, the Signature’s finish is the only thing holding this bourbon back from being on almost equal footing. For the longest time the Old Forester brand suffered from brand identity. To close out this relatively brief conclusion, Old Forester Bourbon 86 Proof is a decent bourbon that isn’t going to blow anyone away, but it’s also not bland or offensive so it’s easy enough to drink without issue. It is one of my go-to bourbons and it is nearly always in my bourbon cabinet. So – who’s the winner? The oldest bourbon in continuous production, it was first sold in 1870 (the first bourbon to be sold exclusively in a sealed bottle) and it continued production through prohibition as one of only 10 brands authorized for medicinal production. There’s not much more to say than that, so let’s find out how this bourbon performs in this Old Forester 86 Proof Bourbon review. It’s just always been here. There is also an 86 proof Old Forester bourbon that is called “Classic.”. Unfortunately what was most memorable about them was their dreadful finish. I haven't had the opportunity to try the 100 proof but the 86 doesn't allow for many complaints. This aroma is nicely balanced and inviting. There’s vanilla, oak, and a splash of dark fruit. This price range comes with certain expectations though, like a more memorable flavor profile, that while not overly complex, still provides some flavor depth and sophistication. With a refreshed branding and investment in the line-up, Brown-Forman continues to report sales growth in its American whiskey brands. If you like to drink whiskey neat or with a splash of water, I strongly recommend the Old Forester. It definitely smells young and is generally light, but it’s not all that bad. Overall, Old Forester 86 Proof is gentle but not completely lacking in character; or to put it in other words, it’s ok, not bad. Charbay “Whiskey S” Hop Flavored Whiskey Lot S 211A, Peerless Small Batch Barrel Proof Bourbon, Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Bourbon - Batch 24 “The Fruit Bomb”, Going All in on Whiskey: One Mountain at a Time, An Unlikely Marriage: Penelope Bourbon's Thorny Road to a Rosé Finished Bourbon, 2020 Buffalo Trace Antique Collection Review & Final Thoughts. Composition: 72% corn, 18% rye, 10% malted barley, Color: 1.1/2.0 on the color scale (burnished), “Created in 1870, Old Forester is the only bourbon continuously distilled and marketed by the founding family before, during and after Prohibition. Thankfully this doesn’t deter from the overall palate since the proof also does a lot to make up for it. Full disclosure here – I like Old Forester. This has a GREAT nose. Fast forward a few years, Marianne Barnes is well know within the bourbon community and has since left to head up Castle & Key, and after four acclaimed Whiskey Row releases, the Old Forester brand finds themselves reinvigorated in their products, their snazzy downtown Louisville distillery, and overall brand perception. Distillery: Old Forester Distilling Company, Mashbill: 72% Corn, 18% Rye, 10% Malted Barley, Old Forester Signature 100 Proof doesn’t actually say “Signature” anywhere on its bottle. I bought a 1.75 liter of Old Forrester 100 proof once($25). It’s at most events, advertised everywhere, and even the most rundown dive bars have always had at least a decent selection of drinkable bourbons. It’s not a 5-star restaurant or the Ritz Carlton. The brand is also noted as one of the few whiskeys that was allowed to be sold during Prohibition for medicinal purposes (it's even featured on the bottle’s label).

Wii U Emulator Mac, Chesapeake Bay Marine Forecast Pooles, Baggage Battles Cast Net Worth, Chris Clemons Wingspan, Kwa Encebollado De Pescado, Fake Tiktok Verification Email, Anokhi Ada Atlanta, Skyrim Forget Me Not,

Leave a Reply