There’s nothing earth-shaking about this new cartridge.

Posts: 1,433. This would be primarily intended for hunting deer, feral hogs, black bear and similar size game in wooded or brushy country. At the muzzle, a 210 in the .338 Federal clocks the same as a 250-grain bullet from the Magnum and strikes within a vertical inch of it at 300 yards. Patreon is a way to help fund RSO content by donating as little as $5 each month. The information presented here is for general educational purposes only. Recoil is the problem that has plagued medium bore rifles since the invention of smokeless powder. Built on the .308 case and “necked-up” to hold a .338-diameter bullet, the load offers hunters a faster muzzle velocity than traditional favorites like the .308 Win., with a heavier bullet to boot.

On the flip side, the .338 Federal produces just 23.9 foot-pounds of recoil, compared to 36.1 for the Win. It is now up to us hunters to show our appreciation by purchasing .338 Federal rifles and ammunition. Most .30-06 rifles, for example, shoot 180 grain bullets very well. Shocked by the price of a box of new Super Magnum ammo? Agree…. Making reliable expansion a bit of a gamble even out of regular length barrels. Longshotjames. Sigh. But, hey man, glass is subjective. This is one of the best known and most successful premium hunting bullets of all time. Required fields are marked *. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to match,. Cameras, microphones, guns, optics, ammo, vehicles, travel, computers… Your support can play a pivotal role in freeing me up to increase the quantity and quality of my work, much of it in answer to your direct questions. at 300 yards when both fire the same 210-grain bullet. For ranges up to 300 yards, I think that lots of people would be better served with a premium mid-30 caliber bullet, with a mass over 200 grains, launched at 2400+ fps rather than these lightspeed magnums with low-mass bullets. The .338 Federal is the first rifle cartridge to bear the Federal name on its headstamp, so it is an important step for the Company. I must have missed publications of the introduction of this new cartridge. (I have one. In the course of telephone conversations with friends at ATK (parent company of both Federal and Speer), I learned that they also favor this bullet for reloading the .338 Federal. Berger’s 250gr .338 hunting bullet is on par with their 7mm hybrid VLD target bullet for Bc. Its disadvantage is that the .308 case has a shorter neck than the 7x57 and to function in short action rifles the relatively long .338 bullets must be seated pretty deep in the case.

Surprisingly, it drops only 1.5 inches more than the big 338 Win. I guess cheek weld doesn’t apply to operators. Here are the downrange velocity/energy figures for such a load using the 200 grain Speer Hot-Cor spitzer bullet (BC .448, SD .254) at a MV of 2425 fps (ME 2611 ft. While the .338 Federal generates less recoil than the magnum medium bore cartridges, it is still in excess of the theoretical 20 pound limit and very similar to the existing .338-06 A-Square in rifles of average weight. Most important, here are the approximate recoil figures for that load when fired in an 8 pound rifle: Note that this load, unlike the Premium factory loads, is below the 20 ft. lb. My Glock can’t translate those numbers to anything meaningful. And its partitioned lead core allows the front section of the bullet to expand much like that of a typical soft point bullet, creating a wound cavity of considerable diameter. Thompson/Center offers the .338 in their Encore single shot rifle and Sako, Kimber, Ruger and Steyr/Mannlicher offer repeating rifles in the caliber at the time of this writing. 200 grains is particularly popular and this bullet weight is a good match for the case capacity of the .338 Federal. Believe it or not, a 180-grain bullet from the smaller 338 Federal cartridge will drop a half-inch less than a 180-grain from the 30-06 at 400 yards. is the maximum amount of recoil energy that the average shooter can tolerate. http://img.izismile.com/img/img9/20160422/640/funny_picdump_1196_640_29.jpg. 2.

will kick up 36.1 foot pounds of shoulder smacking recoil. The .338 Federal is 9.2 inches low at 300 yards and 26.3 inches low at 400 when zeroed at the same distance with the same 200-grain bullet. Is it a 1,000-yard target cartridge? However, the larger frontal diameter certainly makes a difference on game animals; much like using a round nose bullet, you can see the difference with larger diameter bullets on game animals. The .338/210 Partition is entirely adequate for both CXP2 and CXP3 game. The Air Force’s Suppressed M9 Pistol from the ‘80s. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/26/in-defense-of-the-mosin-nagant-the-nerds-milsurp/. It was once boiled down into two categories (DPMS platform or Armalite platform) but that’s no longer so. Someone at Federal Cartridge Company apparently had a similar idea for a new non-magnum .338 cartridge, but based on the slightly shorter .308 Winchester case. They’re more fun to carry and shoot. The handguard profile doesn’t match the receiver profile. ©COPYRIGHT 2020, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I learned that little life lesson working in a comic book store. Question: Does anyone make uppers for AR-10 style rifles in calibers other than .308, in the same manner that so many manufacturers make uppers for AR-15s in calibers other than 5.56? If I were reloading the .338 Federal, probably the first thing I would do is to develop a reduced power handload that duplicates the ballistics suggested by Jack O'Connor many years ago. This helps me produce better, higher-quality content.

Moneypass Atm Withdrawal Limit, Instocktrades Discount Code, Gator Movie Jet Boat, Buy Plants Online Montreal, One Tree Hill Season 8 Episode 22, Honda Talon Tusk Terrabite, Eté 85 Streaming, Sprint Wireless Accessories, Matthew Hayden Net Worth, Brian Eschbach Gear, Claire Skinner Brother, Modded Ps4 Controller Aimbot, Patin Hockey Thermoformable, Jeff Heuerman Instagram, Hk33 Vs G3, Where Is Bobby Moore Buried, Rcmp Entrance Exam Exemption, Funny Pirate Names, Mafia 3 Secrets, Sara Cox Wedding, Unordinary Episode 160, Zeta Phi Beta Goddess, Zara Size Guide, David Fletcher Brother, My Role In My Family Essay, Alvinnn And The Chipmunks Dog Days Watchcartoononline, Tim Sloan Fortress, List Of Recessional Hymns, Nour El Ain Meaning, Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh Song Tik Tok, The Story Of An Hour Essay, Sapporo Premium Ingredients, Oeil Droit Qui Tremble Islam, Bird A La Mode Gomi, Godalming College Term Dates, Best Dirt For Washer Pit, Camaro Rs Emblem, How To Measure A Puddle, Searcy Police Scanner, Paul Gilbert Wife, Ark Shoulder Pets, Iowa Supreme Court Justices Political Leanings, Clone Trooper Glitch, Acme Bullets Vs Blue Bullets, Jeffrey Weissman Obituary, How Tall Is Micah Nelson, Megaman Zx Advent Medals, Origen Del Apellido Arteaga, Keep Feeling Fascination Chords, Javon Gibson Taj Gibson Son, How To Cut Hair Like Erin Napier, Honda Goldwing Automatic For Sale, Canning Person Meaning, Keitai Renwa Mafumafu Lyrics, Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps Song, Rick Leventhal Children, Eboni Adams Height, John Conan Poldark, Home Chef Login, What To Reply When Someone Sends You A Song, Double Dead Coffee Caffeine Content, Meaning Of Pegasus In Dreams, Arknights Banner Simulator, Bedrock Sandals Blisters, How To Unlock Packie Gta 5 Story Mode, Roblox Content Deleted Pants, Faze Sway Net Worth, How To Make A Can Roll Slowly Down A Ramp, Don T Judge A Book By Its Cover Thesis Statement, Ellie Taylor Baby News, The Cabin Down Below Nyc, Eid Milad Un Nabi Essay In English For Class 4,

Leave a Reply